Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Say This, Not That.... The Sound of Silence

Rarely am I at a loss for words. (For those who know me, this is NO surprise- lol!)  I am comfortable being with people during "uncomfortable" times, and work to stay present with them in what they are experiencing.

However, sometimes I am at a loss as to how to respond in a situation, or to a particular comment. For me, it's usually that an old (or current) wound has been triggered.  Sometimes there is an over-reaction (again, shocker, I know!).  As often as not, there is silence.

I truly feel that there are some people who will never be able to hear what I have to say. It's as if they are caught up in their own life stories.  These are typically the individuals who seem to be surrounded by "drama." These individuals typically lack the insight required to explore their own roles in relationships.  They may be unavailable emotionally, unable to manage their own unresolved issues.  For them, boundaries may be blurry, as it is difficult to discern where "self" ends, and "other" begins.

I've learned that sharing my "truth" is an important part of who I am.  It's a significant aspect of how I move through life.  When someone cannot hear whatever I have shared with love and kindness, their reaction is reflective of them, not me.  However, it's taken many hurtful experiences to come to a place of acceptance... and acceptance is an ongoing process!

When I "bless" someone with silence, it is a way of respecting their limitations, while still honoring myself.  So sometimes, instead of saying this, I simply say nothing.



No comments:

Post a Comment